Grape Varietal: 100% Chardonnay
Growing Region: Martinborough, New Zealand
Founder / Chief Winemaker: Roger Parkinson

Roger is in a unique position in New Zealand, with the benefit of vine age having a contribution on the expression of his wine. With his vineyards being established in 1988, Roger has commented in the past on the ‘Home Block’ vines producing wines with greater structure and mineral characters over varietal expression. This resulted in Roger creating this single vineyard ‘Home Block’ Chardonnay, showcasing a pronounced vineyard site expression.

 

These mature Mendoza Chardonnay vines on their own roots are the key to this complex wine. Once the fruit was ready, this single-vineyard Martinborough Chardonnay was fermented and lees-stirred for 10 months in tight grained French oak barriques which were sourced from the centre of France. Undergoing barrel fermentation; as well as a judicious amount of malolactic conversion; giving this wine a creamy palate and a completely dry finish.
36% of this 2014 ‘Home Block’ Chardonnay went into new French oak and the remaining 64% went into a mix of used French oak for the same length of time. The parcels were then tasted, blended, fined, filtered and prepared for bottling in the New Year. Natural acidity was retained and there is a lovely subtle walnut character that has started to reveal itself.
In the glass this wine has a full, bright golden colour and a full, expressive bouquet of complex rich stone-fruits, and intertwined hints of oak. This is a confident wine, with good palate weight, texture and concentrated stone-fruits and toast flavours, along with this unique mineral character combining to produce a wine with notable personality. Also a subtle wild honey character adds another lifted flavour to the palate.
This broad wine has depth and real concentration showcasing excellent vigour and complexity. The core of ripe stone-fruits, soft honeycomb, complimented by a just the right touch of roasted nuts from time in oak. All these components craft a wine with notable qualities and a long and persistent finish. Decant for 10-15 minutes, and serve at 10-11ºC. 

A rich, textured, single-vineyard Martinborough Chardonnay.

CELLARING POTENTIAL:
Approachable this season; though it would appreciate 5-6 months, and will age well for another 6-8 years. 

SUGGESTED FOOD MATCHES:
Perfect wine pairing with slow roasted pork, chicken, turkey, homemade gnocchi pasta with grilled eggplant and cream sauce, or soft-creamy cheeses and crusty bread, enjoy.