Grape Varietal: 100% Chardonnay
Growing Region: Chablis, France
Chief Winemaker: Grégory Viennois

Domaine Laroche are a respected and influential producer in Chablis owning 9.96 of the 41.33 hectares of the Vaudevey vineyard. The Chardonnay vines are planted on a steep slope growing in the renowned Kimmeridgian soils, having a south-east exposure, grown in the morning and early afternoon sun. These delicate vines are protected from any excessive heat during the ripening months, maturing slowly, delivering sort after elegant flavours.

 

This wine from the Laroche stable of wines year after year, exhibits and is renowned for its exceptional finesse. The 2014 fruit had its usual slow-ripening, and then benefited from an extraordinary end to the summer. Blue skies and dry conditions, light breezes and cool nights. The ideal elements required for a complete and perfect ripening of Chardonnay grapes. The conditions of the grapes, were virtually perfect.
As the hand-harvested fruit come into the winery - whole bunches were placed into a pneumatic press for gentle extraction of the juice. Then after only 12-14 hours of settling, and regular tasting by Grégory, at a controlled 12°C in specially designed wide shaped tanks. Which assist to accelerate the natural settling process which allows the use of lower levels of SO2 being added.
The juice then went through 3 weeks of fermentation at 16-18°C. For this wine 26% of the juice went into oak barrels, with the remaining 74% in stainless steel tanks.
The wine then underwent 9 months maturation, before the meticulous process of blending and further ageing on fine lees for about 8-9 months. With regular tasting near the end, when the decision was made to bottle, which was done with a minimum filtration to preserve the natural character of the wine.
The ideal end to the growing season the respectful winemaking has resulted in a bright and lively pale gold coloured wine. With a most inviting aroma of ripe citrus, pip and subtle stone-fruit notes. The combinations of the bright stainless steel fruit and the oak matured parcel has crafted a complex though well balanced, elegant and generously flavours mid-palate wine with a subtle seam of mineral characters through the heart of the wine and refreshing natural acidity. The wine is lively and bright, with refreshing acidity on a lingering finish.
This 2014 Laroche 1er 'Les Vaudevey’ Chablis has 13% Alc. Best served at 10°-12°C. 

An elegant, well-structured Domaine Laroche Chablis.

CELLARING POTENTIAL:
Drinking well this coming season with 20-30 minutes of cool decanting. Though will appreciate and reward another 5-6 years of age. 

SUGGESTED FOOD MATCHES:
Perfect wine pairing with classic oysters, grilled white fish, shellfish, chicken salads, a mixture of vegetarian cuisine and young, white cheeses - enjoy.